Richmond Heights Logo
Police Fire
Font size:
facebook newsletter registration

You are here: Home > Residents > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What do I do when my power goes off?
Residents are encouraged to call 888-LIGHTSS (544-4877) to report their outages.
For updated information on the company’s storm preparation efforts, current outages, FirstEnergy's storm restoration process and tips for staying safe, visit the 24/7 Power Center at: FirstEnergy operating companies will also provide updates via Twitter: The Illuminating Company: @IlluminatingCo


Does the City help with sewer back-up issues?

Click here for a Storm and Sanitary Sewer FAQ sheet.


I want to use a fire hydrant to fill my pool, what do I need to do?

 If the fire hydrant is on the same side of the street as your home, you can apply for a permit to use the hydrant. You must first obtain a request form from the Division of Fire. The Fire Chief will assist you with the process of obtaining a permit from Cleveland Water.  The link outlines the process to use their water utility and infrastructure.

Does the Richmond Heights Division of Fire fill swimming pools or rent hose to fill the pools?

We are sorry, but the Richmond Heights Division of Fire does not fill swimming pools, nor does it loan fire hose. It would be inappropriate for the Division of Fire to utilize apparatus and personnel for the purpose of filling a private pool. Doing so would hinder the agency’s primary mission to stand ready to provide fire suppression and emergency medical services to our citizens. However, there are several private companies in the area that will fill swimming pools. Hoses to fill swimming pools may be rented through local equipment rental vendors.


What Parcels does the City Control?
The following is a PDF of the Property List

Where can I find the details for the "Noise Abatement Council? 
NAC - Frequently Asked Questions 
Airport Frequently Asked Questions

I’m new to Richmond Heights and would like to make sure I can vote here, how do I find that out?
Everything you need to know as a voter is available on the Board of Elections website or by calling 216-443-3298. Voters may confirm their ward, precinct, voting location, find out how to register to vote, what you need to bring to your polling place, or request a provisional ballot. Please remember that name and address changes must be made at least 30 days before all elections. You can pick up voter registration forms at City Hall during regular business hours.

Are there any discounts available to homeowners in Richmond Heights to help with the costs associated with owning a home?
Yes, there are several programs available to homeowners in Richmond Heights. The Home Weatherization and 4COM programs are just a few offered through the Cuyahoga County Department of Development. For more information on these programs and others like them, you can contact the Department of Development at 216-443-7260.

Who can help if I'm having trouble affording my utility bills?

In Northeast Ohio, customer assistance programs include: 

• Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus (PIPP Plus) The Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus (PIPP Plus) is an extended payment arrangement that allows Ohio customers meeting program guidelines to pay a percentage of their income or $10.00 per month, whichever is greater, instead of their usual electricity bill. Eligible customers must have a household income at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty level. For more information, call (800) 282-0880. 

• Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) HEAP is a federally funded grant program administered by the State of Ohio Department of Development through a network of local community action agencies. HEAP provides customers help with paying winter heating bills, and occasionally summer cooling bills. For more information, call (800) 589-3101.

• Salvation Army Emergency Hardship Programs The Salvation Army organizations across the Ohio utility territories offer emergency assistance programs for those who have suffered a recent financial hardship and need temporary help to pay their electricity bill. Contact your local Salvation Army agency to learn more. 

• Emergency Assistance Additional help in paying utility bills may also be available to low-income residents through local county departments of human services, community action agencies, soldier's relief commissions or veteran's services offices. Listings for these resources can be found in the blue pages at the front of your local telephone directory, or you can call your county government or visit them online to learn more. 

Who can I call if I can not resolve an issue with my landlord?
You can contact The Legal Aid Society's Tenant Information Line at 216-861-5955 any weekday during business hours for information related to tenant and rental housing questions. Note - this line does not provide legal advice. For more information about how the Legal Aid Society can help you go to

What should I do with a worn or torn United States flag?
Such a flag should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning. You can bring your old flags to City Hall and we will be happy to properly dispose of it for you. Most VFW Posts will also help with this service.

Are pets allowed in the City Parks?
No animals are permitted in the City Parks without being registered through the Police Department. There is no fee to register your animal just stop in the Police Department and fill out the registration form.

Every summer there is always a bad storm that knocks out the power, who should I call to have it restored?
If your power goes out, do not call the Police Department. The Police Department is usually the first to know of power outages and during such times it is very busy. Tying up a police line and a dispatcher to report your problem prevents someone from calling with a more pressing matter. Please call The Illuminating Company at 1-800-589-3101 or 1-888-544-4877.

My neighbor’s grass is really getting high and looks terrible, how do I get him to cut it?
Local ordinances prohibit noxious weeds and tall grass that is more than six inches in height. Such weeds and or tall grasses are declared to be nuisances and should be reported to the Building Department by calling 216-383-6312.

What are the special assessment charges on my tax bill for?
There are three special assessments that are most frequently found on your tax bill. One that is on most tax bills for Richmond Heights is a Sewer Maintenance Fee. This special assessment amount ranges from $50 to $200 per half and is put on by the County Sanitary Sewer Engineer. The phone number to contact him is (216) 443-8201. Another special assessment is for the installation of the sewer line in your area. This assessment is put on by the City. The amount of this assessment varies by project. The time period of the assessment is for twenty years. You can contact the Director of Finance at City Hall (216) 486-2474 for specific information about your sewer assessment. The third special assessment is for lawn maintenance performed by the City on abandoned and vacant properties. This assessment is certified by the City with the County in early September for all maintenance charges from September of the previous year through August of the current year. Most title companies will check for any future assessments to a property at the time of sale. If the title company does not check, then the assessment will follow the property, not the previous owner.

Is the rubbish pick-up delayed when there is a holiday?
New Years Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only six holidays that could POSSIBLY INTERRUPT your rubbish collection. In the case that one of these holidays does fall during the week, rubbish pick-up will be delayed one day.

How do I obtain a birth or death certificate?
In order to get birth/death certificate, you can call the Bureau of Vital Statistics at 216-664-2317.

Do I need a permit in order to have a garage sale/yard sale?
Yes, You do need a permit to have one and you can obtain a permit at the Building Department located at City Hall.

What do I do if I have a raccoon or another animal under my porch? Will the City help?
Yes, Contact the Police Department at the non-emergency # (216-486-1234). They will set up a once a year service to trap and remove the animal at no cost to you.

Why do I need a construction permit?
A permit serves as formal and legal permission to start any construction project. The issuance of a building permit indicates that plans for a new structure, addition, renovation, plumbing, a/c or heating system, fireplace or accessory structure have been approved by the Department of Building, Zoning, Housing, and any related Board or Commission. This ensures that the plans comply with all mandated building and zoning codes.

Does the City have a Community Center that they rent out for private parties?
Yes, The Kiwanis Lodge is available for rent to all Richmond Heights residents. Call the Recreation Department at 216-383-6313 to check on availability.

How do I obtain a marriage certificate?
In order to get a marriage license you must contact the Cuyahoga County Marriage License Department at 216-443-8922.

Important Numbers:

  • Board of Education - (216) 692-0086
  • Board of Elections - (216) 443-3200
  • Cuyahoga County Treasurer - (216) 443-7400
  • Post Office - (216) 481-4461
  • Cuyahoga Sanitary Engineer - (216) 443-8201
  • Water Quality (Rusty Water Line) - (216) 664-3168

In addition to reviewing this FAQ page, please see our How Do I? and Popular Links pages.